Skip to main content

Peloton Digital Membership


I subscribed to Peloton about 6 months ago.  I've been a fairly consistent exercise enthusiast for most of my life. I belong to a great fitness club and have access to excellent personal training, which I have taken advantage of for years.

In search of a decent spin class that I could take from home, I discovered Peloton's online digital membership.

At first I was hesitant, because I've subscribed to online programs and apps before and never really got into them.  I prefer the motivation from a group and the in-person experience.  I don't like the effort of slogging through exercises to create my own workout (who has time for that, by the time I'm done I could have worked out?).  However, after a friend* bought a Peloton bike, complete with classes, and began raving about them, I decided to take another look.


I have been very impressed - not only do I LOVE the spin classes, but I've also tried strength classes, yoga and stretching and there are lot of other classes I've yet to explore.  The instructors are excellent, they remember to cue for form, and demonstrate all of their expectations,  clearly describe how to do each exercise and are also great at motivation.

I can log in and choose classes ranging from 5 minutes (stretching, cool down, core) to 90 minutes (boot camp, strength, cycling etc), Peloton virtually eliminates any excuses about not having time to work out, lacking equipment (there are body weight workouts too!).  The classes are also rated for difficulty and convenient filters allow me filter based on what I am looking for.

I've found that I need to be logged into wifi to do a spin class or strength training, you can take any class live or you can take one that has already run at any time, and you can take it as often as you like.  There are no limits.  (There are also some workouts that you can do outdoors - but I'm not sure whether you can download those ahead or have to use data to access them). 

For me this has been the perfect solution I needed to get into spin, and get a good workout of any kind whenever I am in the mood.  I use this at the gym and at home.  It has saved me a ton of money too because I no longer pay for a personal trainer, and I like the convenience of not having to make up a workout for myself.

I do not own a Peloton bike, I use a very basic spin bike that I purchased a few years ago and am completely satisfied.  So if you are looking for a great workout look no further.  Peloton is one of the best investments I have ever made.  Can't wait for my next workout!

*special thanks to LeeAnn for all of her great advice, friendship and pushing me during workouts together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I think Tim Caulfield Should Rethink His Top 5 List of Things to Do For Your Health

Professor Timothy Caulfield gave a very entertaining lecture this evening as part of the Edmonton Community Foundation's ECL Lecture Series.  In fact he has done a lot of research and published extensively in both the scientific and lay press about how popular culture is shaping our approach to health, and our attitudes towards science.  Interesting reading. The rise of pseudoscience, propagated by celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Jenny McCarthy, and Dr. Oz just to name a few, has led to our society believing and trying all sorts of weird and wonderful things in the name of beauty and greater health.   As a physician, I am often struggling to debunk myths and provide my patients with solid medical advice and references that they can access to answer their questions. Unlike Dr. Caulfied, I have not done a lot of rigorous research in this area; so hats off to him for doing this and in such an interesting area.  As a consumer, mom, professional, and human being I am interested

Why The COVID19 Pandemic could be very good for Diabetes Care

I have wanted to develop "Just-in-time" care for patients with diabetes via the idea of a virtual clinic.  What this means to me is that the right patient is connected with the right diabetes team at the right time. Our current paradigm is to have pre-scheduled clinic visits - a nice, tidy, orderly progression of patients coming to see the team for advice.  There are several problems with this model - it's not really the best use of limited resources.  Patient selection is random in that patients who come happen to be the ones who were referred, but this does not necessarily equate to those who need to be seen the most.  Conceivably, if each member of the team (RN, RD, MD) spends time with the patient, up to 3 or more hours are dedicated to serving one patient.  It's just not efficient and it's not really patient centred care when the patient has to take time away from work and the costs also include transportation, parking, childcare etc.  For many patients